Wednesday, December 22, 2004

 

Merry Christmas to All!

We are fast approaching the feast of Christmas. Much ink and bandwidth has of late been wasted on the propriety or impropriety of wishing folks a "Merry Christmas". While we live in a diverse, multi-cultural, yet (so far) secular society, Christmas is a legal holiday for the federal and various state governments. To wish another poor soul, a "Merry Christmas" should not be construed as an imposition of a Christian blessing on anyone or alternatively some type of profession of one's Christianity, but merely a wish that the poor soul have a "good time" at a particularly pleasant time of year. My hero, Ambrose Bierce, does not seem to have left any particular thoughts on the subject of Christmas. He did have a definition for the word "feast":

FEAST, n. A festival. A religious celebration usually signalized by gluttony and drunkenness, frequently in honor of some holy person distinguished for abstemiousness. In the Roman Catholic Church feasts are "movable" and "immovable," but the celebrants are uniformly immovable until they are full...

So, I wish one and all an excellent "feast" of Christmas. I hope everyone is imbued with the spirit (or spirits) of gluttony and drunkenness and has a roaring good time!


Comments:
"I wish I could drink like a lady, I can have one or two at most, three and I'm under the table and four, I'm under the host".....well not LITERALLY, I just thought DP should contribute something to your Christmas message. Cheers.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Website Counter